- This topic is empty.
- June 15, 2020 at 1:18 am #2186cleveland99Guest
My Google Chrome is infected with a virus extension called Optimum Search. It was installed without me knowing about it and I supposed it came from a game that I have downloaded prior to infection. Also, there is this “Managed by Optimum Search” thing on the Chrome browser. Overall, Optimum Search virus was able to change my homepage and new tab. It looks very similar to Chrome but without the toolbars and links that I have created to customized by homepage layout.
Please tell me how to remove this Optimum Search virus from Google Chrome, it seems to have gotten deep into the system that is why it is very hard to eliminate. I have scanned the computer with several anti-virus tools but to no avail.
Please help me.
Cleveland99June 15, 2020 at 1:20 am #2188MFixerGuest
Self Help Guide
For easy and free removal of Optimum Search, we suggest that you carry out the following instructions. We will use only free and effective malware removal tools on this procedure.
1. Download the following Optimum Search removal tools
Once downloaded, install the programs using default configuration. No need to change on the current settings. Updating may be necessary after the installation.
2. Reboot computer in safe mode
Rebooting the computer in Windows Safe Mode reduces the effectiveness of Optimum Search and other malware. Most malware and virus do not function fully while in Safe Mode. You may also scan the PC on normal boot-up; hence, we may not guarantee the efficiency of virus removal.
3. Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-malware
– Open Malwarebytes Anti-malware
– On the main window, click on Scanner tab
– Click on Scan button to start finding Optimum Search and other malicious programs
– After the scan, select all identified threats and click on Remove or Quarantine button
– If it prompts you that computer needs to be restarted, please select No
– Close Malwarebytes Anti-malware program
4. Run another scan using AdwCleaner
– Open AdwCleaner.
– Once opened, click on Scan Now button to search for malicious applications including Optimum Search.
– It will display scan result and this may include Optimum Search.
– To remove Optimum Search including all detected adware and malware, click on the Clean or Quarantine button.
– AdwCleaner will prompt you to close any running application as it will need to restart the computer.
– Click OK to restart the computer.
After restarting the computer, you may run additional virus scanner if anti-virus is installed.June 15, 2020 at 1:46 am #2192MatsPrideGuest
This Optimum Search virus for Chrome is very hard to remove using automated tools like anti-virus or anti-malware. After several hours of searching for proper way to get rid of this virus, I was able to get rid of it using the following:
Remove Optimum Search from Windows Registry
1. Close your Google Chrome browser.
2. Go to Windows Taskbar and click on Search or Magnifying Glass icon.
3. Type Registry Editor and hit Enter.
4. One at a time, go to the following entries and delete all the Data that has a value of 1
5. Similarly, if you see a ForcedInstall policy in the list, please delete it.
6. Please open Google Chrome and see if Optimum Search is gone.
If the virus or there are still remnants of it, please continue on the following. This steps will delete your current Google Chrome Profile. So make sure that you have a backup of important items like your Bookmark, Favorites, etc…
Delete Optimum Search Data
1. Close Google Chrome and Open Windows Explorer.
2. Go to the affected User’s folder
C:\Users\[Your User Name]\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome
3. Make a backup copy of User Data folder to another folder or drive.
4. Delete the current User Data folder.